Kohlrabi salad




It has become a habit in my family when visiting other countries especially Sri Lanka to come back home with huge boxes of produce. So as per tradition, I decided to visit a local market in Wellawata before returning home this year.
It wasn't exactly enjoyable as the vendors practically harassed me, "madam you want this, you want that," I love shopping in markets but I hate when the vendor is practically breathing down my neck. But I was determined to shop, so was able to get a nice big box of produce. One vegetable that I bought was Kohlrabi, something which is not available in Male and new to me.  It looks like a turnip, but is green and tastes like broccoli. The leaves can be eaten as well (the recipe will follow in the next post. )



I have become addicted to Pinterest and love checking out every now and then the various pins. Got lots of inspiration for what to do with kohlrabi,one was salad.

Check here on how to prepare Kohlrabi.

Recipe: Kohlrabi Salad recipe inspired by kohlrabi salad with Cilantro lime recipe

1 kohlrabi, peeled, cut into mini cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red chilli chopped
juice of 1- 1 1/2 lime
a few coriander leaves, chopped, optional.
salt

Add onions into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and lime juice and mix, bruise a little to release the juices.

Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. taste and adjust salt and lime juice.  Enjoy as a side dish.

Comments

  1. thats cool that you visit markets when traveling and can you believe I have never tried this

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very fresh and crunchy salad...it's simple yet delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a cabbage to me! Thank you for introducing new stuff... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so healthy! Looks really nice ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nammi,

    Interesting! Kohlrabi is not a common ingredient in Australia. Nevertheless, I enjoy learning new ingredients and recipes from you all the time.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....